Friday, January 17, 2014

Nevirapine vs Efavirenz in improving CD4 count

I had my CD4 count last January 7, and it's now up to 329 from 224! Yey!

My cocktail is nevirapine, lamivudine and tenofivir. Since I had my first CD4 baseline test, my CD4 count has improved from 179 to 233 to 224 to 329. My partner S is also on the same cocktail as I am, and his latest count is 377. His baseline CD4 count is 173 and it has improved to 234 to 317 to 313 to 377. What I noticed, based on the improvement of me and my partner's CD4 count over the past two years, is that nevirapine is slower in bringing up CD4 count, compared to CD4 count improvement of fellow patients on efavirenz. Of course, other factors could affect the increase in CD4 count, but my observation is that those taking efavirenz have greater improvements in their CD4 counts in a shorter amount of time, compared to those taking nevirapine.

Is there a study that proves this? To my fellow pozzies on medication, would you agree to my observation, or disagree?

4 comments:

  1. I'm on efavirenz, emtricitabine and tenofovir. I've been on ARV for 11 months now. My cd4 went from 261 to 281 to 350 to 371 to 541.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're on Atripla? How is it?

      Congrats on your count! Just 11 months and it's already within normal. Keep it up! (literally... :))

      Delete
  2. I'm on EFV and I also see strides in my CD4 count increase. That plus 3TC and AZT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats! How long have you been on meds? I hope you're not experiencing any side effect from AZT?

      Delete